68% travellers feel air travel is the safest mode of transportation, says IndiGO survey
By M4G Bureau - July 17, 2020
It shows that health and safety are their priorities when travelling amidst Covid19 pandemic
An in- depth survey was conducted by air carrier, IndiGO to understand customer sentiments around air travel and their confidence in safety measures in the current scenario. The survey showed that 68% respondents feel air travel is the safest mode of transportation.
While rest are not sure about their safety because of the apprehensions related to travel by air which include lack of social distancing by other passengers that stand at 62%; quarantine measures by states at 55%, and sitting in the aircraft with so many people at 55%.
· Air transport is considered the safest form of travel by a wide margin for inter-city travel. 68% of respondents felt air travel is safe in comparison to 8% for rail travel, followed by 24% for driving
· Air travel industry has done a good job in communicating the new protocols to the consumers with nearly 93% are aware of them
· 65% of consumers feel confident that IndiGo will ensure clean and safe travel for their journey
· 57% customers are fairly aware of IndiGo’s Lean, clean flying machine programme to promote safe and clean travel experience
· Factors impacted travel demand are like fellow passengers not maintaining social distancing (62%), post travel quarantine measures by various states (55%), travelling with so many people (55%).. Other factors included concerns around air circulation (42%) and sanitation efforts being made by airlines (32%)
· 95% customers prioritize health and wellness of the airline staff, while 92% of them feel that sanitation and safety protocols by airlines need to be in place. Personal safety kits and contactless travel experience are next on priority with about 90% and 89% customers demanding the same, respectively. Temperature checks remained the last priority with 86% customers considering it important
· Nearly 54% respondents said they want to travel in next 3 months
· Only 17.6% said they will wait for situation to completely normalize before planning travel
·Key drivers of demand generation for travel will be- clear Information about safety measures (75%), deals or special offers (47%), constant tips on how to make their next travel hassle-free (45%) and support to community and nation (31%)
· About 38% customers considering international travel, while 62% will focus solely on domestic travel in near future. 27% customers considering a mix of domestic and international travel and 11% focussing solely on international travel
· Though leisure travel will be impacted, VFR (46%) and business (35%) will be the key reasons to travel, followed by leisure (11%) and emergency travel (8%)
William Boulter, Chief Commercial Officer, IndiGo said, “The analysis of our customers’ survey clearly portrays that health and safety are their key priorities when travelling. While it is heartening that about 65% travelers trust IndiGo to deliver a clean and safe travel experience, we will continue to introduce new measures, products and services to further strengthen their confidence in air travel and IndiGo. Our aim is to consistently provide a safe and hassle-free experience on-board a lean, clean flying machine".
Boulter further added, “Even though most of our customers will be opting for domestic travel (62%) in the near future, there is a healthy interest in international travel (38%).”
The survey was conducted online between June 20 and June 28 with 25000 travellers.