Global ad spends to grow at 9.2% in 2022: dentsu forecasts
By M4G Bureau - January 27, 2022
India among the fastest growth markets; Global OOH spend is forecast to exceed pre-pandemic levels by US$3.0 bn in 2022 to account for US$40.6 bn
The latest dentsu Global Ad Spends Forecasts (January 2022) highlights the following trends and patterns expected in 2022:
- Ad spend forecasts show global growth of 9.2% in 2022, with the advertising market reaching US$745.0 billion, exceeding the 2019 pre-pandemic spend levels by US$117.2 billion.
- Growth in 2022 is nearly three times the growth of 3.4% in 2011 - second year post recovery from the global financial crisis.
- 2022 builds on a stronger than expected recovery in 2021 when global ad spend exceeded 2019 levels by 8.7% and increased year-on-year by 17.0% - the highest recorded market growth by dentsu.
- The positive momentum from 2021 will continue into Q1 2022, with growth on a like-for-like basis by 8.9% boosted by the Winter Olympics & Paralympics Beijing 2022. Q2 and Q3 2022 is forecast to grow by 10.3% and 10.7% respectively. Q4 2022 is forecast to grow by 9.2% on a like-for-like basis driven by the FIFA World Cup Qatar and the pre-Christmas surge.
- The fastest growth markets in 2022 are forecast to be India 14.6%, US 14.0%, Russia 11.2%, and Canada 10.9%.
- Global OOH spend is forecast to recover and exceed pre-pandemic levels by US$3.0 billion in 2022 to account for US$40.6 billion, the third largest share of ad spend at 5.5%. Advancements in measurement of campaign effectiveness, technology, programmatic and offering will drive OOH growth in 2022.
- Linear media (Linear Television, Print, OOH, Radio, Cinema) increased by 7.0% in 2021 and is predicted to grow by 3.2% in 2022, however spend at US$326.8 billion will continue to be 5.9% lower than pre-pandemic levels of spend in 2019. Global ad spend is predicted to grow by 4.6% in 2023 and by 5.8% in 2024.